Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Parenting


Greetings to all the lovely folks, my name is Sarah Elise Stauffer and I will be contributing here regarding parenting, motherhood, fatherhood, and breaking the cycle. The picture above is of my youngest son. Yes, you were this precious too! Unbelievable that I was this age when my mother left and my father began sexually abusing me. His reality, as is the reality of my 6 year old, is so opposite, two different galaxies apart. I can not even imagine my husband or myself hurting him like we have been hurt.
One thing that I'll mention, if you are a parent, and you are having difficulty empathizing with yourself or doing inner child work-which is ESSENTIAL in healing yourself and for building a healthy foundation for parenting-a simple exercise is to think of your issue...then put your child in that scenario. It reframes the entire thing and helps you perceive yourself the way you were and are-a precious child who was innocent and deserved so much better! Start looking at yourself the way you see your child/children. You were no less, you were and are deserving of all the love and safety that your own children are worth. Children are really teachers and healers. They come here and trigger us and challenge us and, no, I don't mean to say it's all butterflies and cupcakes. But the healing that parenting can spark is pretty profound.


For now I wanted to introduce myself and say hello to everyone here. I'm grateful to have the oppurtunity to talk about parenting and what we can do to heal and break cycles.

Lots of love to all-Sarah Elise

0 comments: