Sunday, December 23, 2007

Affirmations

There is a lot of talk this week about remembering to take care of yourself during the holiday season. Some survivors don't even know what it means to care for themselves. The idea that their needs and feelings are important is a foreign concept. Healing is about taking baby steps toward the light that shines inside of you and then revealing your light to the world.

One of the first and most powerful things that you can do for yourself is to make sure your self talk isn't negative. We can all be our own worst enemies. I have found that self affirmations help me through some of my toughest times.

Yesterday I spoke to a friend about what kind of affirmations we use to keep us going. Here is a few:

  • lipstick on the mirror that says, "I love you....squish!"
  • putting a card in the mail to yourself
  • using a mantra like, "I am special" or "I am beautiful"
  • combating the negative thoughts with opposite affirmations like, "I am important" or "what I say/think/feel matters"

All of those things are true about you! You just have to take hold of it and make active steps toward believing that it is true. Whichever one you pick by using affirmations you are taking the first steps toward getting rid of that inner voice that tells you that you don't matter.

I am wishing all of you a happy and safe holiday season!

1 comments:

Active Survivor said...

You rock!!!!! Thank you thank you thank you! I have loved working with you. It has been a true JOY an privilege, and it's only just begun!